Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Israel and Holocaust Remembrance

I've often taken part in the Holocaust remembrance ceremony. It is something I have felt privileged to be part of and an opportunity to recall a moment in history which one hopes will never happen again.

However, over the past few days I have been questioning whether in all conscience I can partake in it this year. The bombing of the UN school has made my decision clear: I cannot partake in an event which indirectly celebrates the creation of israel as a safe haven for a persecuted people where that very nation carries out its own atrocities upon Palestinian citizens and continue to illegally occupy land which is not theirs.

It is always profoundly depressing when the oppressed becomes the oppressor. Hamas, created by the israelis to destabilise the PLO, has become a monster indeed, but a monster which has gained public support given the behaviour of Israel. Nothing should be done to indicate anything other than criticism of Israel and, sadly, that means the Holocaust remembrance services are entirely inapprorpaiate at the moment

No comments: