Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More from Labour....

Brown's speech was OK. It was serviceable and will keep him in post for the time being. But his future and that of the Government will not depend on a single speech.

As for Ruth Kelly's departure....I can't pretend to be anything other than pleased that she has gone. In my view, no-one associated with Opus Dei, essentially the voice of neo-fascism within Vatican plc, should have even been allowed on the candidates list for the Labour party. However, whether her reasons for resignation are genuine or not has raised some interesting issues about the expectations that we have of MP's and ministers. Is it really possible for them to live lives even approaching 'normality'?

I also listened to an interesting feature on the radio this morning which looked at people's choices with regard to their jobs. A number of callers noted how difficult it was to return to work after a break, and moreover, how difficult it was to get any sort of professional post on a part-time basis. I think this is something the Government could have done far more about. The negativity towards part time staff is legendary, and I'm afraid I have found the unions of very little help. If anything, in my field, their promotion of full time secure jobs make it all the worse for those of us who don't actually want to work full time....

No comments: