Wednesday, November 10, 2004

So, something about me.

What can I tell you?

Let's see. I'm 42. I live in Waterloo, a suburb of north Liverpool with my partner David ( yes, I'm gay), and we have lived together for coming up to 13 years. I am in the closing stages of writing a PhD which is to be submitted at the end of January 2005. It has been a bit of a tortuous process all told, given that I've been doing it part-time over a seven-and-a-half-year period, and whilst I'm pleased with it and feel that its been worthwhile, it can be a bit of a 'black cloud' over the rest of life.

I work part-time at a small college in the city, teaching Sociology. Although when I have finished the PhD I will be looking carefully at my possible options. Fortunately, I'm in the position of not needing to work full time.

What am I into? Films - mostly arty stuff, and independent productions, although I don't object to good commercial stuff. Not science fiction, though, which I loathe. I'm interested in politics and current affairs, although I'm no longer in a political party. I've been active at one time or another in both the Labour and LibDem parties, and I'm probably somewhere between the two, something of a maverick - but don't feel very inclined to join any party at present. I resigned from Labour over the Iraq war, like most other paeople with a semblance of a conscience, and don't regret that decision.

Having said that, I've been pleased with the Government's very genuine progress on gay rights issues. Whatever anyone says, we have achieved more under this government than any other in history.

I am involved with the Church. Yes, I am a Christian, although sometimes I wish there was another word so that there would be no possibility of confusing me with the appalling fundamentalists and headbangers who think they have exclusive ownership over the word. I attend a High Anglican church, and am a mixture of liberal theology and high churchmanship - although I hasten to add I have no truck with the misogynists of Backwoods in Bitterness. The sooner we get women bishops, the better.

I like watching football. In particular EVERTON FC. The Blue pride of Merseyside, the perpetual underdogs here, but certainly the club with the most local support.

And I have an ongoing obsession with the EUROVISION SONG CONTEST. I recognise this may come as something of a shock to some of you, but I hope to enlighten you as to the wonders of ESC within this blog.....

Thats all for today. More about me and some thoughts on the world soon....

No comments: