Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Athens, the Wringing Wet Williams, and more...

So, spent a very pleasant few days in Athens. Its a crazy and chaotic city, but has a lot of character.
Highlights. The Acropolis and the view , certainly. The two very authentic tavernas, off the tourist trail, we had lunch in. The two posh restaurants which were a delight!

Definitely a good place to visit. And managed to get 19 bottles of wine and one of ouzo back home....

Looks as if the Church has given itself three years to split ; at least, it better had, or I shall be leaving. ECUSA and Canada need to be standing firm and those of us who agree with them can coalesce around their approach - let the fundies get on with it. It may appeal to pre-modern societies which need their own enlightenment, but thankfully, not here.

No doubt Africa will begin its annual whinge about trade and poverty soon - nothing to do, of course, with their own corruption or inefficiency!

As for Rowan Williams - at one time I respected him, but I have reached the conclusion that he is a spineless , weak man, with no principles other than self-preservation and the maintainance of an organisation that deserves to be put out of its misery - only that way can something better emerge. Its quite difficult not to end up despising the Church and all it stands for. Frankly,its where I am now - but I shall stay around whilst change is still required.

My PhD viva set for April 22nd....

1 comment:

Michael said...

Hmmm. I may have to invite myself round to partake of one or more of those bottles of wine, (assuminmg, of course, that there are any left). :-)

I agree with you on the way things are going in the CE at the moment. It's all the nonsense combined that is making me reconsider where I ought to be and not just one particular issue, but I can very much relate to the feelings of being let down and loss of faith in this organisation.

But schism begets schism, as is oft said.