Thursday, June 07, 2007

And a few thoughts

Its been ages since I posted (again) largely because most of the last month appears to have been taken up marking coursework - with another few weeks to go.

So, a few musings

Lets start with politics. David Cameron is certainly proving to be Blair-lite in more ways than one. Both in terms of image and his determination to place his party in the centre. But the reactyion of the Right-wing to his decision to no longer promote grammar schools was a sign that not all are convinced, any more than Labour became utterly Blairite

Having said that, many non-Blairites left the party, along with people like me who would have classed themselves as Blairites until we realised that meant embracing neocon foreign policy. I received a letter inviting me to rejoin the party, but I don't know. Thing is, we have been moved into another constituency and there is no way I would ever vote for the sitting Labour MP there, under any circumstances, so until he departs through death or resignation, it seems a bit pointless to get involved again. If Simon Hughes had become LibDem leader then they may have embraced the sort of liberal-left ideas I believe in, but Campbell makes Brown look exciting

The papers have been full of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.Its a sad situation, but I don't feel at all easy with the creation of the media circus surrounding it. If the child had been the black offspring of a single mum from Middlesbrough I somehow think that the reaction would have not been the same.Its this sense of vicarious grief - I find it unappealing to say the least. I don;t feel any sense of grief because I do not know the people involved

No comments: